Do you believe travel leads to more simplistic, and less materialistic lives? Do you believe traveling is a good thing? Do you believe we need simpler web experiences, built around less information from trusted sources rather than more information from strangers? Do you love people? Do you believe life is about more than money? Do you love traveling? Do you love technology?
We’re on the lookout for an amazing community builder to join the team…
What will that person (eventually it will be multiple) be doing?
- Building strong relationships with travelers all over the globe
- Helping community members get answers to whatever travel related questions they may have
- Relaying feedback from the community into the product development cycle
- Speaking on behalf of Oh Hey World at meetups and conferences
- Online marketing (& some search engine optimization)
- Finding ways to bring community members together in person
- Facilitating discussions between community members online
- Building a presence on the top 5 travel communities
- Monitoring the Oh Hey World brand
- Writing – keeping the Oh Hey World travel blog full of amazing stories
- Traveling abroad — a LOT. Absolutely nothing replaces meeting people face to face
Prior community management and technology experience is a plus, but certainly not required.
I get asked all the time how to make money from abroad. This is that chance. But if making money for doing nothing is your goal (which is the sense I get from many who want to work remotely while traveling), don’t bother following up. Community building for a startup is a 24/7 job (I did it for 4 years at Zillow) — you need to live and breathe the company, which of course means believing in the grand vision of creating a travel experience based around information from those you trust.
It’s my firm belief that community building is the single most important component to building a lasting company, particularly a web brand. If an entrepreneur doesn’t understand and invest in building a community, they don’t stand a chance to succeed. This is certainly one of the most important hires for Oh Hey World. You’ll get in on the ground level, have a chance to make a lasting impact and advocate to millions of people that traveling is a viable option for every single person. Our goal is to create a world where every single person has not only a passport, but a stamp in it.
Interested? Let’s talk.
[Update: The starting point to expressing interest is to write a few guest blog posts for the Oh Hey World blog. If you’re not willing to go through that effort, then you don’t truly want this job – you likely just want to travel and earn money. That’s fine, but that’s not the type of person we’re looking for.]
[Photo via http://www.echoditto.com/]