Is it possible to make a living writing about your travels? Absolutely. But the fact of the matter is most don’t make any money at it.
Want to give it a go. Here are some steps to take to maximize your chances:
- Start a blog and write every single day for 6 months (at a minimum)
- Ensure you have a Portfolio that demonstrates your best work
- Guest blog on a number of other destinations – preferably directly related to travel
- Network your ass off anyway you can
- Actually go travel (no brainer)
At the end of the day, the vast majority of those who succeed writing online succeed because they do so for reasons other than money. Even if they didn’t make a dime, they’d still be writing great high quality content consistently. You’ve got to love what you do, or you’re not going to persevere long enough to make it a career.
Love travel writing. Live travel writing.
Best of luck!